Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Need a Tow Ma ám?"


Many of you know that I enjoy watching,(following) police cars, ambulances and firetrucks. Rebecca and I both have this fetish. Why, who knows.
Anyway, our son Robert is working for a large towing company. Consolidated Towing is what it's called. They are the company that AAA uses for any breakdowns, tows, keys locked in and so on. I especially like this company because all their trucks are bright orange. I see Robert (or his fellow employees) from a far distance coming. Anyway, we are grateful he is working!!! Jobs are hard to come by. Robert has always been interested in cars and trucks. I swear he was 5 years old and he could tell me the make and model of any car driving past us. He would quiz me and ask me what a certain truck was called (if we were stopped next to it at a red light)... He couldn't believe that I didn't know it was a Ford XLTZ (whatever it was). Robert works Thursdays-Sundays. Every morning or in between "rescues" I quiz him now on what the emergency was. "Was it an accident, were the police there?" "Was it a DUI impound?" "What kind of car was it, what was the situation?"
Some stories he tells me are quite interesting. Three I will share. One girl who had obviously been drinking too much and didn't know why her tires were out of balance (She had hit something hard) asked him if he was married or if he had a girlfriend. Robert was very polite and said "I have dogs." I said, "Robert what did that mean?" He said it didn't mean anything but it shut her up. The next was another girl he was taking to her parents home because of a broken down part. He came home with a Heart Massager that was from her "Women ONLY" party line that she does. I haven't yet gotten on her web-site (she left him her card). (I'm saving the heart massager that he gave me to give to his wife at a bridal shower.. But wait, he has dogs) Last, an older gentleman locked his keys in his car at Safeway. Unfortunately the man had a hook for an arm. After Robert was done getting the door opened, and as the man was putting all his groceries in his car, he asked, "Can I give you a hand?" Not even thinking until it came out... The man said, "Everyone thinks that I can't do things, like I'm disabled." Robert than quickly changed the subject and went on to the price of meat.
So, if you wonder why a big tow truck resides at our home part time.. now you know.
Keep the stories coming Robert!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Love it. hahahahaha. Oh Robert. I miss seeing him around.